For Lubbock, Texas Lawyer and Personal Injury Consultation: Call: + (1) 806-763-1944
Lubbock Personal Injury Lawyer
Texas Attorney Charles Dunn
We Can Help. Call Us Today.
(806) 763 1944

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Personal Injury Lawsuits

Have a Question about personal injury lawsuits? It May Be Answered Here

In this series of frequently asked questions (FAQs), Texas attorney Charles Dunn answers your questions about personal injury lawsuits, car accidents, auto accidents, truck accidents, aviation accident, wrongful death, motorcycle accidents, and more.

QuestionWhat can I do if my medical bills are more than the at fault parties insurance coverage limits?

AnswerTexas law only requires a driver to carry a maximum of $30,000 in insurance to cover the innocent driver if the insured driver is at fault and causes injuries. Because of the skyrocketing cost of medical care, even minor injuries can quickly exceed the policy limits of coverage. In a serious collision, the minimum policy might not even cover the cost of the ambulance and ER treatment. The important thing to remember is that you cannot depend upon the other driver to have adequate insurance to cover your injuries or to even have the required minimum at all. To be safe, you should always take out Personal Injury Protection and Underinsured/Unisured motorist coverage of at least $100,000 to cover yourself if someone else causes you an injury.

QuestionCan I get a rental car while my car is being repaired?

AnswerMost automobile policies provide for rental car coverage while your car is in the repair shop. Check your policy or call your agent to see if you have rental car coverage. If the wreck was not your fault, the insurance company for the at fault party should provide you with a rental car while your car is being repaired. If they do not provide a rental vehicle for you, you should consult an attorney immediately.

QuestionMy doctor has released me to return to work and I don’t feel like I’m ready to return to work. What should I do?

AnswerSome doctors are not “patient friendly” for whatever reason. They don’t spend much time talking to the patient and even less time determining if the patient has reached maximum medical improvement. Many times the doctor feels pressure from the insurance company to release a patient to return to work before the patient is ready. If you are injured and don’t feel healthy enough to return to work, tell your doctor your specific complaints and the specific reasons you do not feel as though you can physically return to work. If he ignores you and makes the decision to force you to return to work before you feel you are ready, call an attorney. Often an attorney can refer you to a doctor who will give you a second opinion.

QuestionWhy won’t the insurance company settle my low impact, soft tissue injury claim?

AnswerAutomobile insurance companies make very low offers to settle low impact, soft tissue ( whiplash type) injury claims. Most of the time the insurance company will not even offer to reimburse you for the cost of the medical bills incurred. If you are the victim of such a collision, don’t even bother trying to negotiate a settlement yourself. Call an attorney and get full value for your claim.



Charles Dunn