The Law Offices of Charles Dunn
Lubbock County Medical Malpractice Attorney
Call Today 806-370-6270

Commonly Asked Birth Injury Questions

In this series of frequently asked questions (FAQs), I answer your questions about birth injuries.

Our baby had a difficult delivery, but when I later asked for details from the doctor and hospital they told me everything was "fine." What can I do?

Unfortunately, this is a common practice at Texas hospitals. Whenever a medical procedure doesn't go exactly as anticipated, the hospital administration or physician reverts to "stonewalling" tactics, insisting that everything was done by the book, no errors were made by doctors or nurses and the patient — and the newborn infant — didn't emerge any the worse for the experience.

In some cases, this is perfectly true: There may have been complications during delivery, but everything worked out in the end and you have a healthy, happy baby boy or girl. You were lucky.

In other cases, though, the hospital or your doctor is lying to you by omission: Maybe something did go wrong, and maybe it was the fault of an attending doctor or nurse, but they're not going to admit that for fear of a medical malpractice suit. The longer the hospital or doctor can deter your inquiries, the better it is for them; after all, if it does turn out that your baby suffered neurological damage during birth, the hospital can claim that this damage was sustained after, and not during, the delivery, and that they are in no way responsible.

If you suspect that the "complications" during your child's delivery were in fact more serious than the hospital is letting on, you owe it to yourself to get all the details — and only an experienced lawyer can negotiate with the hospital administration to release your records in full, and in a form that you can understand.

I am attorney Charles Dunn. I have been litigating medical malpractice cases in Texas for over 30 years and have a good sense for when a hospital is actively trying to cover its own behind, rather than easing your mind about the health (or lack thereof) of your newborn child. Call me today at 806-763-1944 to learn more!

I had a complicated pregnancy and was in labor a long time. Should I be concerned about the health of my child?

You should be concerned only if your child is not developing and thriving in an age-appropriate manner. If you believe that your child is delayed either developmentally or otherwise, you should seek an opinion from your pediatrician, who can perform the basic testing necessary to determine if your child has suffered a birth injury and needs further testing or treatment.

For these and other birth injury concerns, please contact me online or via phone at 806-763-1944 to arrange a free consultation at my Lubbock office.

Contact Me For A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy